A little while back I showed how to configure LogEntries with Laravel 5.0. Now that I’ve updated to 5.1, I needed to update the configuration to use Laravel’s new layout. In addition, I needed to control the level at which log entries were being saved to remove the clutter of the logs in the staging/production environment. Here’s how you set that up. Continue reading
Some people like to name their vehicles, but I like to name my electronics [well, technically I name my vehicles too 8^D]. Maybe it’s because I’ve loved computers since I was a kid, or by giving them a name I mentally take better care of the devices, I’m not sure… Continue reading
For one of the projects I’m working on, we’re using DeployBot to handle deploying our code from our bitbucket repository to an AWS S3 bucket. For security reasons, we want to keep the IAM policy a restrictive as possible, so that it can only add/remove files in that bucket. However, DeployBot needs to be able to connect to S3 and get a list of buckets to provide a list for you to choose from in the deployment wizard. After a little bit of tweaking, this is the IAM policy that worked for me.
Last week the girls were learning about sound, phonographs, and Alexander Graham Bell. Our current record player was on the fritz, but an old episode of Mr. Wizard’s World came back to me in a flash. In a matter of minutes we had our own primitive record player and it was fun and easy to make!
Last week we launched a site for a client that was built upon the Telerik Sitefinity CMS platform. Between me and 3 or 4 other developers, we customized the front end, a bit of the back end, and all parts inbetween. I’m quite proud of the launch. There were lots of learning points along the way and I’m sure some folks are wondering if it’s worth using this platform to build a site. Here’s my rundown on the good, the bad, and the ugly with it.
A while ago I wrote an article outlining deploying Laravel to Elastic Beanstalk. While this worked great, I started running into problems surrounding an error that Laravel couldn’t write to it’s log files. I had tried adding code to the pre-deploy scripts to update folder settings, but this didn’t work. After a little more digging, I found you can use a post-deploy script. It looks a bit different (and doesn’t have much documentation) but it does the trick. Continue reading