As I’m working through my Prayer Odyssey project, I’m in the process of building native mobile apps, thanks to Xamarin. However, I hit a snag that was preventing me from testing things locally. For some reason I kept receiving timeout errors, when I could clearly see that the API was running. After a bit of digging (combined with a little hair pulling and head pounding), I tracked down the issue. The mobile app on the iOS simulator couldn’t connect to the API on a VMWare Fusion virtual machine. Here’s how you get this to work.
Sometimes you just have to stick with older code…
I ran into a problem a while back when deploying an application to Azure that was using the DNX / .Net Core RC1 Framework. I started seeing errors such as:
Unable to resolve dependency Microsoft.Extensions.Options 1.0.0-rc2-final
Similarly when I would attempt to compile I would see an error such as:
The dependency Microsoft.Extensions.Options 1.0.0 in project ZZZ does not support framework DNX,Version=v4.5.1.
Something strange was going on… Continue reading “Quick Tip: Maintaining .Net Core RC1 Project References in Azure”
I’ve been itching to expand my Prayer Odyssey project to include native mobile apps. I believe it will be more of a need than a nice to have given how notifications work and how a truly responsive experience can be trickier than it initially seems. For me, I’ve had my eyes on Xamarin for quite a while now.
I had a guest post at work this week outlining all the really cool things that I put together on a project recently using Microsoft Azure. It’s pretty amazing how the cloud is streamlining a lot of coding that used to take weeks or months.
Give it a read here:
With the newest release of ASP.Net 5 (vNext) and Entity Framework 7, it appears that the traditional web.config transform method and startup code will no longer work to have your database migration scripts automatically run when you deploy your code from source control to Azure. Here’s a new way that you can accomplish the same task and keep your continuous integration setup running smoothly. Continue reading “Database Migrations with Azure EF7 and DNX”
Last week a nice guy named Greg reached out to me about the ZANS scaffold I created and how he was enjoying it. He also ran into an issue where the reload of a view wasn’t properly checking user credentials. He found a simple trick to fix this which I wanted to share really quick.
In my Zurb For Applications .Net Scaffolding, I setup a base .Net WebAPI project that uses oAuth tokens for a better form of authentication in a single page application model. Since the token provides any details about the user that you want to encode, here’s a quick trick to expose the User.Identity.Name and User.IsInRole methods to improve the authentication and authorization capabilities within your app. Continue reading “Quick Tip – Linking User Identity to oAuth Tokens in WebAPI”